How to Cook Bad Bird's Umami Fried Chicken at Home
To cook this recipe, you'll need our Umami Fried Chicken kit.
Tools & Equipment
- A frying pot (A cast iron dutch oven is best, but a stock pot will work too.)
- A deep-frying thermometer (Not required but extremely helpful)
- Mixing bowls for breading the chicken
- Tongs to lift the chicken
- A wire rack or any kind of surface with holes. (For seasoning the chicken.)
- A neutral frying oil (ex. Canola, Vegetable, Palm, etc.)
- A salt/pepper shaker (place seasoning inside)
Breading the Chicken
- Thaw out raw brined chicken to room temperature. Pat dry each piece with paper towels. (Cook it immediately for food safety.)
- If your chicken is too cold, it will bring down your oil temp too quickly when you drop the chicken in the hot oil.
- In a bowl, mix the batter mix with ⅔ cup of water together in a mixing bowl to form a batter.
- One by one, dip each chicken piece to the wet batter and coat evenly, reaching every crevice including areas under the skin.
- Once fully coated in batter, let batter drip for a few seconds.
- Dredge the chicken in the breading mix. Be careful not to overcoat your chicken with batter! A thin layer should be enough to make your chicken crispy.
- Pro tip: drop some wet batter into the breading mix to form clumps of starch. When stuck to the chicken, those clumps will turn into crispy bits when fried.
Frying the Chicken
- Fill your pot with cooking oil.
- If you have a thermometer, get your oil temperature up to 325-350F.
- Drop each piece of chicken one by one.
- Do not do overcrowd the pan and do not drop the chicken all at once. This will bring down the oil temperature and will turn your chicken soggy.
- Fry for ~8-11 minutes. (Will depend on your temp.)
- Tip: our breading gets dark quickly so watch the color.
- Once done, place chicken on wire rack to rest.
- Note: due to the spices in our breading, our chicken will appear visually darker than most.
Seasoning the Chicken
- While the chicken is hot, season the chicken with our umami seasoning.
- Hot oil will help the seasoning stick to the chicken.
- Use a shaker to spread the seasoning evenly on the chicken.
Preparing the Gravy
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Drop the frozen sealed gravy pack into the boiling water for 1 minute. Do not worry, we use heavy duty plastic that can withstand heat for a short period of time.
- Turn off the stove and leave the gravy pack in the hot water until it is fully warm.
- Open packet and whisk/mix gravy to emulsify/even it out.
🏆 You're done! Congratulations and enjoy your meal.
To make sure your fried chicken is of best quality, make sure to consume it before it goes bad! Here's a guide to help you keep track.
|🍗 Ingredient||📦 Storage||🐥 Shelf Life|
|Raw Brined Chicken||Keep Frozen||2 months|
|Batter Mix||Room Temp||1 month|
|BB Seasoning Powder||
|1 month (if unopened)|
❓ If you have questions, feel free to reach out and send us a message.
If you read and followed our guide, please send us photos of your fried chicken. 🌟 We'd love to see it!
Ready to cook? Buy our Umami Fried Chicken kit right now.