How to Cook Bad Bird's Crispy Wings at Home
To cook this recipe, you'll need our Crispy Wings Cook-at-Home Pack.
Tools & Equipment
- A frying pot (A cast iron dutch oven is best, but a stock pot will work too.)
- A deep-frying thermometer (Not required but extremely helpful)
- Mixing bowls for breading the chicken
- Tongs to lift the chicken
- A wire rack or any kind of surface with holes.
- A neutral frying oil (ex. Canola, Vegetable, Palm, etc.)
- A brush for glazing the chicken
Breading the Chicken
- Thaw out raw brined chicken to room temperature. Pat dry each piece with paper towels. (Cook it immediately for food safety.)
- If your chicken is too cold, it will bring down your oil temp too quickly when you drop the chicken in the hot oil.
- In a bowl, mix the batter mix with ⅔ cup of water together in a mixing bowl to form a batter.
- One by one, dip each chicken piece to the wet batter and coat evenly, reaching every crevice including areas under the skin.
- Once fully coated in batter, let batter drip for a few seconds.
- Dredge the chicken in the breading mix. Be careful not to overcoat your chicken with batter! A thin layer should be enough to make your chicken crispy.
- Pro tip: drop some wet batter into the breading mix to form clumps of starch. When stuck to the chicken, those clumps will turn into crispy bits when fried.
Frying the Chicken
- Fill your pot with cooking oil.
- If you have a thermometer, get your oil temperature up to 325-350F.
- Drop each piece of chicken one by one.
- Do not do overcrowd the pan and do not drop the chicken all at once. This will bring down the oil temperature and will turn your chicken soggy.
- Fry for ~8-11 minutes. (Will depend on your temp.)
- Tip: our breading gets dark quickly so watch the color.
- Once done, place chicken on wire rack to rest.
- Note: due to the spices in our breading, our chicken will appear visually darker than most.
Glazing the Chicken
- Brush your chosen glaze onto the wings. Be careful not to overglaze it—too much glaze will make your chicken soggy!
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
🏆 You're done! Congratulations and enjoy your meal.
❓ If you have questions, feel free to reach out and send us a message.
If you read and followed our guide, please send us photos of your fried chicken. 🌟 We'd love to see it!
Ready to cook? Buy our Umami Fried Chicken kit right now.